South Reno Resident Has Contracted Hantavirus

A south Reno resident has contracted hantavirus. This is the first case of hantavirus in Washoe County since two cases were reported in 2017. Hantavirus is a rare respiratory disease spread by breathing in the dropping of infected rodents, most commonly deer mice. Washoe County District Health Officer, Kevin Dick says be mindful when cleaning your garage or shed. Look for rodent infestation and follow specific guidelines when cleaning areas with rodent activity. The guidelines include not sweep or vacuum the area with droppings, and cleaning with a solution of 1 part bleach to 10 parts water should be used when cleaning urine and/or droppings. Wear gloves and a face mask to avoid touching or breathing in viral particles.